On May 19, 1928, when Lieutenant Leonard Flo landed the first airplane at ARB, a long history of aviation in the Ann Arbor area was born. The airport’s formal dedication on October 9, 1928, was presided over by the Honorable Fred W. Green, Governor of the State of Michigan. For decades ARB has served the local community through aviation by providing mail service, passenger service, entertainment, pilot training, recreation and commerce.
On October 8, 1928 the Ann Arbor's municipal airport will be dedicated
Flo served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during the 1920s. Flew air mail from Tampa to Jacksonville the late 1920s, In April, 1928, he asked the Board of Park Commissioners to petition the Ann Arbor, MI Common Council to support his management of the proposed new Municipal Airport. More about Leonard Flo
The first terminal building was constructed in 1933 and continues to provide service to flyers and the community as the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter #333 Welcome Center. The airport’s first T-hangars, built in 1948, still house aircraft today. The airport grew substantially over the years to serve the needs of the community and aviation.